After my first post of 2014, I am continuing to share something important with you in this beautiful, rainy, grey monday. (๏̯͡๏ )
Today, I will speak of scholarship news which is the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship. I think that most of you have already heard few months ago but I want to give some information that I learn during my applying process, if there is somebody who doesn’t hear it yet. This scholarship that I was informed from Google Facebook group last week, gives by Google company since 2004 but who is Anita Borg?
Anita Borg who was a computer scientist from United States, founder of the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology and Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing. When she died, was only 54 years old, she was a one of great woman programmer. If you interested in life of Anita Borg, you can google her. I cut the story short because I want to tell of the aim of Google Anita Borg scholarship is given only girls who study at computer science or related field. As you can understand, this scholarship support girls who will be future programmers, computer scentists, is increasing the number of girls at this field.
So, how you can apply…
At the beginning, you should enter the Google for Education website and find Google Anita Borg scholarship below the website.
Opening new page, you should choose your location on the map. A little reminder, this scholarship are offered in Africa, Asia, Australia, Canada, Europe, India, Middle East, New Zealand and the United States.
At that time, you can start the online application when you register on the system with your personal and educational information. Before starting online application process, you should know you are suitable for this scholarship. Let’s look at the criteria:
- Be a female student currently enrolled at a university for the 2013-2014 academic year
- Intend to be enrolled in or accepted as a full-time student in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD program at a university in Europe, the Middle East or Africa for the 2014-2015 academic year
- Be studying Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Informatics or a closely related technical ﬁeld
- Maintain a strong academic record
Now you can start your online application of Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship. There is six parts of this online application and you should fill in all required* fields.
Make sure that you have,
- General background information (includes contact information and information about your current and intended institution for the 2014-2015 school year)
- Current resume/CV (up to 2 pages)
- Academic transcripts from your current institution (and prior institution if currently in graduate school)
- A reference letter from a professor, instructor, adviser or supervisor
- Responses to essay questions
Finally the deadline of references are February 15, 2014 and applying scholarship with all part submitted is February 17, 2014. I wish luck to all girls who apply Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship around the world and please wish me luck too. (ˆڡˆ) I want to finish my writing with one of Anita Borg quotes, “Women will change the corporation more than we expect.”
May the best girls win.